Niara Updates : 04/11-04/15

On Monday, we had a meeting where we discussed our upcoming roles for the end of the semester.

On Wednesday, Braxton and I had a meeting with one of former PAD Lab employers, Stacy, where she gave us helpful feedback and advice on our ASSETS paper. Braxton and I also reviewed our analysis together and saw some interesting findings from the students.

Thursday, we are scheduled to have a meeting to discuss the outline of our ASSETS paper and plan on writing for the ASSETS paper. In addition, we will look over Sam and Nick’s survey analysis.

On Friday, I will register for the TAPIA conference since April 15th is open for registration.

My plans for next week are to focus on the crutch grip and continue writing for the ASSETS paper.


Braxton 4/13/16


Today, Niara and I had a meeting with Stacy. She gave us constructive criticism for our ASSETS paper. Niara and I looked over the analysis for Class two together.

Braxton 4/08/16

This week we worked on 3d scanning and printing models for the PT students. Then I added code to the current Gripfab webpage after learning a bit more about PHP, JQuery and Javascript.

Update – Sam 4/10

This past week we accomplished a lot. After our second class with the PT students, we spent over 20 hours 3D printing their assistive device designs. I then returned with the print the following Tuesday so they could evaluate their prints and talk about their design process.

We are submitting a paper to ASSETS this year so much of the upcoming weeks will be spent on data analysis and writing the paper. I am also personally working on a second paper which was accepted to another conference and is due around the same time, so my work load for the upcoming weeks will be heavy.

Niara : Updates 03/30/16 – 04/08/16

This was a very busy week for everyone. On Monday, we met to discuss our plans and everyone’s responsibilities for the UMD Class Session. During the week, I prepared a more extensive description of the case studies provided by Karen for my colleagues. In addition, I made a presentation for the students.  On Wednesday, I did a dry run TinkerCad presentation. I also researched some links for the students where they may google medical 3D models. On Thursday, 04/01, Nick and I presented. I presented a TinkerCad tutorial and Nick did a 3D scanning tutorial. We went through the presentation with the students and circled around to answer their questions. After the class , we submitted on our google drive our observations from the class. This week, we printed the models the students made and Sam will be going tomorrow to discuss the 3D prints with the students. During this week, I will go back to prioritizing myself with the crutch grips.

Sam Update 3/30

This week and the past week I completed a lot of small requirements.

– Finished Pre and Post Class Surveys

– Started the code for GripFab (

-Submitted abstract to IS Poster Competition

This week

-Teach students 3D modeling class

-Complete poster submission for IS Poster Competition

-Data Analysis on Surveys from Students

-Continue working on GripFab Software


I am very confident that we can have a running GripFab software by the end of the semester. However, because I will be in charge of writing the full paper to be submitted to ASSETS in May, I fear my availability to work on the code will start to slow down. This week I will try to make a finite schedule, similar to a Gnatt chart, to track exactly what needs to get done and when.