Author: sammc5773

Sam Update

We have finally wrapped up our work by completing our full paper submission to ASSETS last night. Our paper is titled “Uncovering Challenges and Opportunities for
3D Printing Assistive Technology with Physical Therapists”. This paper consist of everything we did this year under CREU’s support. We should be hearing about our paper decision sometime in June.

Advertisements

4/22 Update- Sam

This week we focused on completing our first full draft of the ASSETS paper. I spent over 15 hours writing this week and intend to keep writing for most of next week. Next week we will also be presenting our research at URCAD (undergraduate research and creative achievement day) during a poster presentation.

Update – Sam 4/10

This past week we accomplished a lot. After our second class with the PT students, we spent over 20 hours 3D printing their assistive device designs. I then returned with the print the following Tuesday so they could evaluate their prints and talk about their design process.

We are submitting a paper to ASSETS this year so much of the upcoming weeks will be spent on data analysis and writing the paper. I am also personally working on a second paper which was accepted to another conference and is due around the same time, so my work load for the upcoming weeks will be heavy.

Sam Update 3/30

This week and the past week I completed a lot of small requirements.

– Finished Pre and Post Class Surveys

– Started the code for GripFab (https://github.com/sammc5773/GripFab)

-Submitted abstract to IS Poster Competition

This week

-Teach students 3D modeling class

-Complete poster submission for IS Poster Competition

-Data Analysis on Surveys from Students

-Continue working on GripFab Software

 

I am very confident that we can have a running GripFab software by the end of the semester. However, because I will be in charge of writing the full paper to be submitted to ASSETS in May, I fear my availability to work on the code will start to slow down. This week I will try to make a finite schedule, similar to a Gnatt chart, to track exactly what needs to get done and when.

Update: Sam 3/11

This week was focused on gathering information collected my Nick, Niara, and Braxton during their meeting with Karen. I reviewed the meeting recording, took notes on important info Karen mentioned, and comprised a to-do list of task to complete before the upcoming class.

During the class, we will be providing the students to different tools for 3D modeling. 3D modeling software, and a 3D scanner. In order to use a 3D scanner, students will model their AT using play-doh and then scan it into a digital file. Before the class, we wanted to buy enough play-doh for every student to use. However, play-doh is expensive and can be timely to buy and ship. So in order to save money and be more sustainable, I have created a large home made batch of play-doh for the students to use. The entire batch cost about $.50 instead of $30 for play-doh online.

I also updated the surveys for the students and spent a long time calibrating a 3D printer in order to produce taller prints.

 

Next week is spring break, and I will not have access to the internet. Therefore I will not be conducting research next week.

Update Sam 2/3/16

This week I am traveling for graduate school tours. During my travels I will be creating a task analysis for the Grip Fab program and reviewing notes and recordings from Niara, Nick, and Braxton’s meeting with our physical therapist.

Once details from the interview get straightened out, we will have a good sense of exactly what we have to accomplish over the upcoming month. Our hope are to start coding of Grip Fab and create a cohesive lesson plan for the upcoming class with the PT students.

Sam- Update

This week I will be focusing on writing a paper on 3D printing for LIMIT’s, a conference about limitations in computing.¬†Our group will hopefully be meeting with clinicians at the end of the week. An extensive list interview questions have been documented in order to gain as much information as possible about how the next class will run and how we will prepare for the class.

After Braxton and I create our decision flow chart for users, we got started on producing a basic home page for GripFab. This will allow Braxton to get use to GitHub and moving files to a website while I refresh my html/css skills. We will most likely be using Bootstrap to make the design easier to create and code. An example website I made this week is also shown below.

20160212_111630

grip