Winter Update-SAM

Over the past month I have made considerable progress on our research efforts.
20160106_140014.jpg
Left to Right: Play-Doh Model by Clinicians, Wire Print, PLA Filament Print, and Ninja Flex Print
1. Met with clinicians to discuss our first round of grip prototypes.
I personally returned to UMSOM to have a meeting with one of the clinicians in order to get their feedback on our first round of grip prototypes. We also finalized details for our first class session.
 2. Applied for and received IRB approval to make surveys for the physical therapy students we are working with.
I also personally filed all paperwork and made revisions to all IRB application forms. This IRB approval will be used to collect survey information from the students in order to determine their change in interest and knowledge of 3D printing throughout the semester.
 3. Taught our first 3D printing class for 65 physical therapy students at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.
This was about a two hour long class session. Niara and I had a trial run of the presentation the day before and had PhD students at UMBC review our presentation and give us feedback. We then went to UMSOM the next day and have a very successful presentation. We were really happy with the enthusiasm of the students and how they reacted to 3D printing technology
 4. Reviewed previous interviews with therapist to determine requirements for our grip fab software.
We reviewed and transcribed pre-recorded interviews with occupational and physical therapist to understand their comments on grip fab and collect a set of requirements for the future software updates.
 5. Started to build a 3D printer added to the lab for our grip printing (our lab personally funded). 
A SeeMe CNC printer was added to the lab and is currently being built. This machine is much taller than our other printers and will allow us to make considerable taller prints.
 6. Wrote multiple drafts for our TAPIA paper
Originally, we were hoping to apply to both TAPIA and CHI. However our paper did not meet CHI deadlines and we will instead be applying to both TAPIA and hopefully Pervasive Health. Once the semester is over, we also hope to present out work at ASSETS and present our findings from the classrooms sessions this semester.
We made considerable progress this winter and will be making more progress this week as we come together and discuss our weekly goals and expectations.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s